Archive for January, 2014

Dupont area footprint ready for scenery

Dupont area footprint ready for scenery

 Base scenery work has been completed on the Dupont footprint using a variety of media. The immediate foreground uses pre-mixed joint compound to build up a base for the materials processing building. The compound was applied in layers up to rail height.

The area ended up being too dark and blended in with the building sitting atop it. No color was added to the top layer and it came out white. I gave a couple of washes of india ink to tone it down and bring out the detail.

Paved area made of layers of joint compound for the materials building.

Paved area made of layers of joint compound for the materials building.

Between the rails I wanted to simulate a black top area that trucks would use getting to and from the warehouse towards the back of the layout. I stacked two layers of 1/4″ card stock used for matting artwork. The first layer comes even with the top of the HO ties. The second is cut to fit and is just under the railhead. A layer of black poster board from Walmart tops the concoction. No painting is needed. Between the rails, I lay one layer of mat board is overlayed with a layer of .004 inch styrene cut to fit. This gives more clearance than the pavement on the outer rails and allows for more room for couplers and stock rolling over the area.

I like the styrene because it is a bit more robust and can be shaved and sanded for flange clearance. The styrene is affixed over the mat board using CA.The surface of the black top invariably gets scratched and bumped in the process of completing the scene. No problem. I patch using Sharpies and acrylic paints. The colors don’t exactly match, but that’s the look we want. Same thing happens on the prototype. Patches happen at different times and end up being different colors because of materials and fading.

More areas added

More areas added

The edges of the parking lot are blended down to base plywood level using Sculptamold. An access road from the Third Street was also built up using Sculptamold. I painted the Sculptamold using earth colored acrylics and used standard scenery techniques to top with ground foam and gravel as appropriate. A little ground foam in down the center of the road implies a low traffic area. Dirt and ground foam were added to blend into the previous scenery and track ballasted with a sand / dirt mix from my driveway.

Aerial view of the finished footprint of the Dupont complex.

Aerial view of the finished footprint of the Dupont complex.

Next come the buildings.

Advertisements